Current volunteer needs include:
- Walk with Friends -Fundraising event support
- New Parents – Support
- Team Possibles – Support
- Friday Night Socials – Support
- Become a board member (bi-monthly meeting, voting rights)
- Family Camp – planning and registration support
- Community support organizer
- Other fundraising events organizer
- Educational support – represent HNSDSS in education workshops, conferences, and other pubic events
Our volunteer application process:
1. Application form CLICK HERE
2. Volunteer confidentiality form CLICK HERE
3. Photo/Media consent form CLICK HERE
4. Send along your CV and references.
5. Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Check* (information below)
6. Child Abuse Register Check (screening is free) (see information below)
*Save your receipt for completing this check and Halifax NSDSS can reimburse you
The address to return these forms to (and complete on the records check) is:
Halifax NS Down Syndrome Society
P.O. Box 33144
Halifax, NS B3L 4T6
Criminal Record Check & Vulnerable Sector Check
If you reside in HRM, please click here for information on how to do this. Please indicate on their form that you need the vulnerable sector check as well (if you are 26 years or older):
**Please keep your receipt (amount should be $30.00 if you tell Halifax Regional Police or RCMP your criminal record check is for the HNSDSS. We have an M.O.U. discount for non-profit groups: Bring the letter attached “Police RCMP Volunteer Letter“.)
If you live outside HRM, you will need to contact your local RCMP detachment to complete a form in order for them to perform the check. Usually they do not charge you for this service. Please indicate on their form that you need the vulnerable sector check (on these forms sections 1, 2, 3, and 4 on the “category of information disclosure” MUST be filled out. If it is not, the form will be void).
- Please note: Criminal record checks can only be done in the area that the person applying resides.
- Forms are also unique to the area you live.
- Forms DO NOT have to be signed by anyone from HNSDSS. They must simply have the info on it. The office requesting the search (HNSDSS), contact name (Renee Forrestall), number (902-477-6252), reason for search (working as volunteer with youth and adults with Down syndrome), and vulnerable persons section must be completed.
- Criminal record check letter of search results is only sent to the person named in the search (you). You must then mail or deliver to HNSDSS address above.
Child Abuse Register FORM & INFO
Send the form to: Child Abuse Register. Department of Community Services. P.O. Box 696. Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2T7 … (Private and Confidential.)
You can download the form here.
Once you receive a response about your form, please mail or deliver this letter to the address above.