If you ever have any questions or ideas on programs or supports you would like to see in your area, or if you would just like to get more involved in the Halifax NS DSS in any way, please don’t hesitate to email us.
We are always looking for new volunteers to help run programs and for our fundraising events. Please email about your interest in volunteering and check out our volunteer information on the website for how to apply.
Our focus at the Halifax NS DSS in more recent times in on programs run for and by our members, maintaining a resource library, and offering support to new parents.
We encourage members across the province to organize their own social, educational, or support groups. Please contact us if you are organizing one and to learn about funding assistance through the Halifax NS DSS.
Here are a few contact names & numbers for you to keep handy.
- New Parent Support contacts are available throughout the province. Please contact Kim Hanko who will be able to answer questions and refer you to active Parent Support people and groups in the province. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact Renee Forrestall, email@example.com about Team Possibles
- Audrey Samson firstname.lastname@example.org about Friday Night Socials, and
- Laura Purdy, Newparentsgroup@hotmail.ca about our Playgroup for tots.
For additional resources in Nova Scotia/Halifax, you might want to contact the Family Support Program email@example.com via Halifax Association for Community Living – they send out many email notices around events, information sessions, and programs that may be of interest. Halifax NS DSS will only forward those that relate specifically to DS.
Check us out on Facebook!! Halifax Nova Scotia Down Syndrome Society and Maritime Down Syndrome Society are active groups on Facebook – many play dates, special events, and lots of information sharing happens on these pages! I highly recommend you join!
We hope you can join us for our annual events of Halifax NS DSS, which include:
- Walk with Friends fundraiser – in Halifax (and we encourage other areas of NS to host similar events) each Fall/October
- Maritime DS Family Camp at Brigadoon Village – Annapolis Valley
- Christmas Party (Halifax) in December each year
- Annual General Meeting, we welcome all members to attend each Spring (in Halifax).
Information about these events and more will appear through email, on our website and on Facebook! Check out: http://halifaxnsdss.ca/news/ for up to date events and information!